Gender roles and stereotypes

“It’s not easy to challenge stereotypes, but society doesn’t change if you don’t start changing yourself first.” (UNICEF,2018)

In Chile, the society is very sustain in stereotypes and gender roles, over time this has been reducing, but still present. My mom is a housewife and only my dad works, but I never saw any difference in the roles within the house. My mom and dad do the same jobs at home. Went I went to the school I never fitted with other girls, so all my friends were boys. We used to play with transformers and see WWE.
Someday one teacher calls to my mom saying that I was having male acctitude and playing only with boys, I was very angry for that and then I realize to see what was expected for a girl. I was very upset about the sexism in the society. I remember when I was 11 years old I started to dress like I boy, cause I don´t want to be a girl, because I thought that the girls only worry about makeup, dress well and love histories. I felt very insecure about being a girl. Since, I discovered to a singer called David Bowie who had a transgressive and androgynous look, he did not care to be masculine and what the people say and that really influenced me. Then I started to dress like whatever I want, buying girls and boys clothes, acting whatever I want, not like a girls or boys acts, doing whatever I want, not what girls or boys do. I started to be who I really was, not what society expected me to be.

Comentarios

  1. I agree, Chile is a country of stereotypes

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I agree, Chile is a country of stereotypes...the comment above is mine

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares